Saturday, June 5, 2010

Top Ten Best Things About Today's Training

1.  I Swam, Biked, and Ran for the First Time; and I Survived!
I completed race distance in the pool, biked 17.5 miles, and ran a mile.  It was a long, hot morning, but it felt great to conquer all three sports in one day.  I'm starting to think that maybe I can do this triathlon.

2.  Spending the Better Part of the Day with My Better Half
Prepping for the day, packing the truck, sharing a lane in the pool, following the Husband as we cycled through the hills of Williamson County, and running through the park allowed for some quality together time.  I love that we can laugh, talk, and encourage each other through some of the toughest challenges.

3.  Having My Best Swim Yet
It was back to the 25 meter pool, but I felt strong and the swim was over before I knew it.  And, yes, I made sure my lone diamond earring was on as tightly as possible.

4.  Mint Chocolate Gu
My new favorite flavor.  It's like drinking a peppermint patty.  Great carbohydrate boost when the energy starts to dip.  Who wouldn't want to taste something sweet and delicious when there are still 10 more miles to go?
5.  Transitioning With the Husband
We've always made a great team.  After the swim, we came out of the locker room at the same time and headed for the truck to get our bikes.  It's amazing how many things you have to think about when changing from swimming to biking:  changing clothes, nutrition, water, Road ID, helmet, biking shoes, gloves, sunglasses, gear bag.  And today we cut our transition time half.  As the husband fastened his shoes I slipped two packs of GU into the back pockets of the cycling shirt he was wearing.  I didn't think about how natural it was for us until a man walking by smirked and shook his head.  I'm certain he was a cyclist.  Too bad we can't work together on race day.


6.  Making it up that Horrible Hill in the Middle Chain Ring!
No granny gear today.  Just a whole lot of cranking away.  THAT felt great.

7.  Running Fast Felt Slow
Left to my own devices, I'd run about a 9-minute mile.  After swimming and biking, I thought that maybe I'd be able to run a 10-minute mile.  I didn't care how slow it was, I just wanted to complete the mile.  The Husband warned me that my legs would feel like lead and that the pace would feel extremely slow.  I thought he was exaggerating.  Oh my freak, was he right!  After just under two hours of training, anyone would be tired as they started to run a mile.  But we had been flying on a bicycle, so our brains were telling us that we were running VERY slowly.  When we finished the mile, the Husband told me that we had run an 8:25 mile.  What???  It felt like we were crawling!

8.  Seeing God's Creation Up Close and Personal

Squirrels darting, birds flying by, gophers standing on hind legs -- it feels different when you're on a bike than when you watch them through the car window.  You also see things that you wouldn't normally see.  When we were unloading our bikes we saw a hawk in hot pursuit of a little bird.  Two others birds were screeching and chasing the hawk.  The poor little bird was so twitterpated that it flew right into the side of our truck, which dazed it enough to give the hawk the upper hand.  The hawk grabbed the bird with its talons and took off with it!  The Husband and I just stood there wide-eyed with mouths agape.  I was horrified!  As I told the Husband, I know these things happen in nature, but I sure wish nature would take care of those things in private.

9.  The Feeling of Accomplishment


10.  Cleaning Up and Going out for the First Iced Latte of the Summer. 
Two weeks down.  Ten more to go.

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! You guys are an inspiration. :) Daryl and I are on day three of regular workouts, and we biked 10 miles on a gorgeous trail in the woods. After about 5 miles I ceased noticing the gorgeousness and only noticed my legs. Ow. But it's a start! :) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You almost make me want to try this. Almost.

    ReplyDelete