Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So This Is Why They Call Them Bricks

I survived my first week of triathlon training.  I consider that to be quite a feat since I also subbed three extra spin classes at the YMCA, and then there was my really HOT Hot Yoga experience.  (Phew!) 

The week ended on Saturday with my first brick workout.  A brick, completing two discipline workouts in one session, is very important in triathlon training.  It helps to practice transitioning between sports and increases endurance.  But it also helps shorten the time that it takes our legs to stop feeling like heavy bricks when switching from swimming to biking or biking to running.

Our training schedule is organized by the time engaged in each sport, so on Saturday we swam 29 minutes and biked for 58.  We got a bit of a late start, and because it was Memorial Day weekend, we had to share the pool with the families who were coming to spend the day at the newly opened pool.  Lesson number one:  Get up earlier.  After swimming, I was determined not to slow the Husband down.  I raced for my towel and headed for the locker room.  After swooning for a moment as I put my shoes on, I learned lesson number two:  Keep your head above your heart while it's racing!  I was quite proud of myself though, because I beat the Husband out of the locker room and to the truck!  No girlie transition times here!  Let's get moving!

Once on the bike, my legs quickly reminded me why these are called brick workouts, and I had to call ahead to the Husband to wait!  I did my best to keep up.  We live in a VERY hilly area.  In spin class, we simulate hills all the time with a turn of the resistance knob, but climbing a true asphalt hill on a road bike is quite a different beast.  I'm still trying to figure out efficient gearing, but I was proud of myself for making it up every single hill.  I even let out a hoot when I conquered that butt-kicking eternal hill.

Toward the end of our ride, we passed two girls on bikes who were climbing the same hill.  I don't know what came over me.  Maybe it was the exhaustion, delirium, or Pavlovian training, but as I passed them, I started to holler at them to push harder and make it up that hill!  "You can do it, dig deep, you've got this!!!"  I probably completely freaked them out.  I definitely freaked out the Husband.  There's just something about seeing women do something challenging that gives me energy and makes me want to encourage them to do their best.  And there's also the crazy spin instructor mentality.

Last year, when I watched the Husband finish his first triathlon, I cheered like crazy, but I also went nuts for every girl that crossed before and after him.  Girl power.  I love it!!!

As we pulled into the parking lot, the Husband said, "Now just for fun, take your shoes off and run across the parking lot."  What???

So I leaned my bike against the truck and fumbled to take off my shoes.  But these are my nice white socks!  I hadn't brought running shoes, so this was the best I could do.

I instantly knew why he had wanted me to run off the bike.  LEGS OF BRICKS!  Yes, we have a strange definition of "fun".

I'm really glad that I just had to run across the parking lot and back!


It was a great workout to end my first week of training.  Only 11 more weeks to go.  I really am enjoying this new type of training.  I think it's important for us to change our fitness routine regularly to keep surprising the body.  Do you feel like you're doing the same thing over and over and not making any progress?  Switch it up!  Try something new!

But my favorite thing about this training season is working out with my training partner.
He pushes me.  He encourages me.  He makes me laugh.  He makes me laugh at myself when I take things too seriously.  He's the best partner I could ever ask for.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are so awesome! When's the triathalon? Can we come and cheer you on? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's August 15th, will you be back by then? Funny, you two walked into our lives the very day Ted completed his first triathlon!

    ReplyDelete